Sunday, December 23, 2012

Irregular Past Tense Verbs



As you probably know, most past tense verbs in English end with "-ed." But many do not. Many don't follow the rule. They are called Irregular Verbs. How well do you know your past tense verbs? Change the sentences below. Use the past tense form of the verb.
1. Wow, you _____(bring) me some flowers!
2. I'm so sorry, I _____(forget) your birthday.
3. Melanie ____(hide) the present from her sister.
4. The children _____(take) their schoolwork home.
5. John _____(sleep) in class.
6. The mother _____(hit) the child on the leg.
7. Tony _____(read) about South Africa.
8. Alisa was tired so she _____(lie) down.
9. Thomas _____(lay) the book on the coffee table.
10. My parents _____(catch) a cold when they went skiing.

Answers
1. brought
2. forgot
3 hid
4. took
5. brought
6. hit
7. slept
8. lay*
9. laid*
10. caught
* These are difficult words to remember. Many native English speakers get them confused and use them incorrectly. Look at this:
lie, lay, lain (present tense, past tense, present perfect tense) To lie means to put oneself down. Examples- I'm tired. I'm going to lie down. Yesterday I lay down in the forest.
lay, laid, laid (present tense, past tense, present perfect tense) To lay means to put something else down (like put.) Examples- Lay that fork on the table. She laid the blanket on the bed.
If you didn't answer the above questions 100% correctly, I suggest you study irregular past tense verbs a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks you