Sunday, December 23, 2012

Using either, neither and too



Look at the sentences below. A is the speaker. B answers, and sometimes
a third person C answers after B.
When you agree with the speaker... A: I like ice cream. B: Me, too. or I do, too. or So do I.
A: I can play the piano. B: Me, too. or I can, too. or So can I.
A: I am hungry. B: Me, too. or I am, too. or So am I.
A: I don't like hamburgers. B: Me, either. or Neither do I.
A: I can't cook. B: Me, either. or Neither can I.
A: I'm not tired. B: Me either. or Neither am I.
In the sentences above, a third person (C) would say the same thing as the second person (B)

When you don't agree with the speaker...
A: I love fried fish. B: I don't. C: I don't either. or Neither do I.
A: I am tall. B: I'm not. C: I'm not either. or Neither am I.
A: I can sing. B: I can't. C: I can't either. or Neither can I.
A: I don't like chocolate. B: I do. C: I do, too.
A: I'm not Canadian. B: I am. C: I am, too.
A: I can't speak English. B: I can. C: I can, too.
Note- there may be a few other possible ways to answer these questions.
Now you try...
Answer the questions using the examples above. Choose one response. (There may be more than one answer.) Check your answers by clicking on the arrows.
1. A: I like to play tennis. B: . (You like to play tennis.)

2. A: I can't swim. B: . (You cannot swim.)

3. A: I'm not going to school today. B: . (You are going to school)

4. A: I don't have a son. B: . (You don't have a son)

5. A: I can't speak Russian. B: . (You can speak Russian.

6. A: I like to drink beer. B: I don't. C: . (C does not like beer)

7. A: I can't hear the teacher. B: I can't either. C: . (C can't hear the teacher)

8. A: I'm not happy. B: Neither am I. C: . (C is not happy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks you